richmond Powwow Association, Inc.
Bring a lawn chair.
Food vendor on site
Saturday: 10am till dark
Sunday: 10am to about 5pm
GRAND ENTRY at noon both days
(If you've never seen Grand Entry, you don't want to miss it!)
During Intertribal Dances, everyone is welcome to dance. Shoes must be worn at all times. Women typically will wear skirt and shawl, however you can dance in t-shirt and shorts too! I will have a few shawls available.
Once you turn onto Hwy 421, it is 2 miles to Battlefield Park Entrance on right. Go up hill, and park on left by Powwow Entrance Gate.
$5 admission fee. Restrooms, food vendor and Health Fair are by the Gate.
HELP IS ALWAYS WELCOMED!
If you are coming to help at the Rainbow Center Tent, you should be able to drive around to that location and park behind the tent.
We will be setting up the tent on Friday by 11am. Please let us know if you plan to come help with either set up on Friday, or take down on Sunday afternoon. Gloves will be provided.
"As we join, learn and participate in the Pow Wow this weekend, we should make every effort to engage with this traditional event with respect. Below is a list that will help to inform your visit to this beautiful and important event:
- Always stand respectfully during special songs. These include the Grand Entry, flag songs, veteran’s songs or any other song the MC designates. During these songs, folks should remove their hats.
- The correct term for a dancer’s outfit is regalia – not costume. Never touch a dancer’s regalia. Many of the ornaments have religious meaning and are cherished family heirlooms.
- Ask permission before taking photos of dancers in regalia. If the photo is for publication or commercial use, this should be explained before the photo is taken.
- If you see a lost or dropped feather, do NOT pick it up. Notify the nearest staff member (identified by Pow Wow t-shirt) or Arena Director immediately.
- Pointing with the fingers is considered poor manners by some tribes. If you must point, use your head and nod in the direction you wish to indicate.
- Feel free to join in the inter-tribal dances by invitation of the MC.
- Do not ever cross the arena floor! Do not go into drum circles. If a drum group is singing or about to sing, do not approach the drum. Stay on the perimeter of the arena floor.
During the entire event, pay attention to the MC for announcements. This person will give information about the type of dances and songs as they transpire. The MC will also be important in announcing audience participation.
The most important thing to remember is that the Pow Wows are meant to be social events. Make a new friend, eat some food, visit the vendors and have a great time!".
lick to edit text, or drag to move.
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpalmer.tolly%2Fposts%2Fpfbid033N2N75NUy2sjztumAN2zYGzV1HP4hWtddBkQz4g7C4aL8PWT36k6aePtFTYHPWt2l&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="372" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>